Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Hcl Vapour Flowrate Calculation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 chemks2012

chemks2012

Gold Member

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:29 AM

Hi All,

We have a GRP vessel [2m3 total capacity] containing about 500 litres 30% HCl at maximum 60 deg C. During reaction, 50kg powdered raw material is added to the vessel through the open hatch of 400mm X 400 mm. To avoid the fumes in the plant building, we have acid fume scrubber with fan connected to the GRP vessel with 8” vent line i.e. 8” vent line is connected between vessel top and the scrubber fan inlet – scrubber fan is fitted at the scrubber inlet to aid fume extraction through scrubber.

Please note that hatch is kept open all time [fully or partially] while scrubber fan is on.

My queries is
  • How do I need to calculate the flowrate of acid fume/vapour at the 8” vent inlet to design the scrubber?
  • I believe that once the acid vapour flowrate is known, I can calculate the pressure drop in the vent line to design the scrubber fan.

Any help please?

Thanks in advance
KS

#2 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,517 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:39 AM

Let you measure the velocity of the gas entering the scrubber and then multipying by the section you will get the flow rate . Everything else will be guess.
Let you consider pitot tub or other means.
Hope this helps
Breizh

#3 Dazzler

Dazzler

Gold Member

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 05:54 PM

Hi chemks,
A while back I posted some info about hydrochloric acid and occassional difficulties in scrubbing this if an acid aerosol mist forms.

See my post within this Forum question below:
http://www.cheresour...n-hcl-scrubber/

Dazzler