Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Final Composition Calculation Of First Iteration Of Methane Steam Refo

reactor runge-kutta

3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 kikisapsal

kikisapsal

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 September 2024 - 04:44 AM

Greetings,

I want to model a nonisotermal, nonisobaric multitube furnace to be used as primary methane-steam reformer. I calculated the final composition of first iteration of methane steam reformer with Runge-Kutta Fourth Order method. 

a) I begin the calculation by using the following formulas for determining kinetic constants, equilibrium constants, and adsorption constant:
Attached File  1. Formulas for Calculating Kn, kn, and Keqn.png   45.52KB   0 downloads
and I compared the results from my calculation with this source (Silva and de Abreu, 2016, p. 4)

Attached File  2. Results and Comparations of Kn, kn, and Keqn.png   20.35KB   0 downloads

which is weird. There is no difference in the input. I model my reactor with design temperature of 500 deg C and use similar constant R = 8,314 kPa m3/ kmol K, exactly what the journal models their FBR (fixed-bed reactors).

B) Then I calculate the reaction rate formula with partial pressure of each composition that evaluated from molar flow per hour specified as follows:

Attached File  3. Reaction rate formulas.png   10.12KB   0 downloads

Attached File  4. Partial pressure calculation.png   15.08KB   0 downloads

Attached File  5. Molar flows.png   14.07KB   0 downloads

Attached File  6. Reaction rate results.png   16.57KB   0 downloads

c) Lastly, using the RK 4th Order and the following formulas, I present my results and my calcuation methods to Silva and de Abreu (2016), obviously wrong.

Attached File  7. Conversion formulas.png   13.38KB   0 downloads

Attached File  8. Final composition formula.png   9KB   0 downloads

Attached File  9. Final composition results.png   18.73KB   0 downloads

What I want to ask is:

1. What is wrong with this calculation? I got very unrealistic, too large values. I search for number of reasons.
  2. Maybe the universal gas constant is wrong? I search for 9 different configuration of formulas and try three of them. The universal gas constant usually different in units in the whole formula of, for example, in kinetic constant, R is in unit of J/kmol K. (that in Table 5 Silva and de Abreu, 2016, it uses kPa m3/kmol-K, 1000 times than J/kmol-K.) and when calculated, the unit usually don't match (for example, in Xu and Froment (1989) they use kJ/mol for energy activation, the value on nominator part of the kinetic equation inside exponential of natural number e, but the R uses kJ/kmol, which needs to be converted. I found that I can't do it because it will give different result). Even if we calculated them in exponential, the exponent in e will have different value if we divide the value with different values of R, which in some journals, don't state.
  3. There is no explicit formula for final composition and conversion that I can use directly. Furthermore, there are no guidance of how to use the rate formula (in some journals, they use net rates, and some uses the value of the rate and incorporate them into final calculation of molar flow rate) and have no luck. However, the biggest problem may be the result of kinetic constant values, I think.

The calculation is in the Excel document

Attached File  (R-03) Neraca Massa, Konversi, dan Panjang Tube.xlsx   193.72KB   1 downloads

in sheet 4) TLength 9 for my calculations and 4) TLength 17 for the calculations from specification stated in Silva and de Abreu (2016)

Formulas of kinetic, adsorption, and equilibrium constants is in page 4-6 in this Word document.

Attached File  (R-03) Iterasi Awal Konversi.docx   96.25KB   0 downloads

The question and my short design temperature and pressure is in the last page of

Attached File  Final Composition Calculation of First Iteration Step of Methane Steam Reformer With Runge.docx   27.74KB   3 downloads

Source:

1) Silva, J. D., de Abreu, C. A. M., Modelling and simulation in conventional fixed-bed and fixed bed membrane reactors for the steam reforming of methane, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy (2016), http://dx.doi.org/10...ene.2016.01.023

2) Xu, Jianguo, Froment, Gilbert F. Methane Steam Reforming, Methanation and Water-Gas Shift: I. Intrinsic Kinetics. AIChE Journals, Jan 1989, Vol 35, No. 1, p. 90-96

#2 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,521 posts

Posted 14 September 2024 - 06:35 AM

Hi,

My advice, drop a message to PingPong  using (envelope), top right corner. He has a lot of knowledge about this process.

BTW, consider the search engine in this forum, you will find his replies to students to similar questions.

https://terpconnect....SteamReform.pdf

EDIT :

R =8314.47 J/kmol K

R=8.31447 Kpa m3/kmol K 

Some relations are using Celsius and other kelvin!

Good luck,

Breizh

#3 kikisapsal

kikisapsal

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 September 2024 - 09:08 PM

Crazy, right? How we suppose to know what values to use if the journal itself doesn't give any number to begin with.

#4 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,521 posts

Posted 19 September 2024 - 01:04 AM

Hi,

Did you check your model using the data published in the literature, this will a good to validate your work?

Start with the constants and then the reactions rate.

My 2 cents

Breizh